Monday, May 14, 2012

Summer Hunger

Summer's here and the wanderlust sets in.
After months of content I am the cat- clawing at the windows of my life seeking an adventure.
I am no better than my students as the warmth infects me with restless energy.

I feel hungry- there's an emptiness in me and the more I fill it, the larger it grows.
I want.
I want to bury myself in my imaginings and stare at the clouds lilting overhead,
finding in them the landscapes and adventures from my childish imaginings.
I want to explore a castle, or stumble over a mountain peak, or turn the corner in a foreign city.
I want to lay on a sunny bed with the green leaves rustling outside of my window.
I want to sit on a dock of a sunny lake with the dragonflies circling, little fairies greeting me.
I want to sit on the edge of a flowering gate and fill my journal with anxious scribblings.

No amount of adventure will be enough- my satiation is impossible.
In spite of everything the wild child is freed-
stupid and irresponsible and carefree- alive.
Dreaming of adventures beyond this world.
I thought this summer might be different- so content with my life and my work.
But then the breeze rustles the hairs on my bare arms and awakens in me the missing piece of my puzzle-
the wild wakefulness that had been laid to rest and stirs again.
The embers in my smoldering pit have flamed into a fire.
Here comes the insatiable hunger and the endless wanderings of my mind leading me into weeks of daydreams.
Hours spent in reverie.

Summer's here- I'm awake and necessarily discontent.
The impossible search for the world of my imaginings is on.
Like the mosquito bites on my leg, no matter how I scratch I cannot calm the itch.
Come on an adventure with me- let's discover this summer together.

No comments:

Post a Comment